October, Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is Cyber Security Awareness Month and this is a great opportunity to raise awareness. There are several tips mentioned on the GRC site to avoid a cyber attack, and here's what you can do to protect yourself and your electronics:
- Choose strong passwords and change them frequently. Do not use the same password for different accounts or applications.
- Use only reliable and password-protected wireless networks.
- Keep your operating system up to date, including your anti-virus and anti-malware software and privacy settings, and enable automatic updates to prevent older software from being attacked.
- Always lock your mobile device (using a PIN or diagram).
- Be careful if you see links in emails and text messages.
- Keep your social media profiles private and check your security settings.
- When making financial transactions online, make sure that the padlock symbol is displayed on the website or that the URL begins with https: // (the "s" means it is secure).
Adopting these good habits could largely help you become more vigilant when browsing or doing actions on the web.
I invite you to follow our blog because I will speak soon of the types of attacks which one can meet on the Web and I will give tricks to know how to avoid getting caught by them.